Provided at both our 7th Street and Clanton Road campuses, our family education services program provides an array education classes that fosters a strong foundation for successful parenting.
- Group-based parenting education and support program for parents with children 0-3 years of age.
- Prevention program to address the stress, isolation, and lack of adequate parenting information so many parents experience.
- Parents learn the importance of taking care of themselves so they can better care for their children, practical stress management/communication skills, and effective parenting skills and positive approaches to discipline.
- Length of Class: Participants attend weekly two hour sessions for 9 weeks.
- Upon successful completion of “Make Parenting a Pleasure,” parents will receive a certificate.
- Cost: $150.00.
- The Preschool and School Age Incredible Years Parent Training Program is an evidenced based program especially designed to support parents in creating a strong foundation for life-long learning, development and growth for their child.
- Increases positive family communication and problem solving.
- Parents are taught skills to promote children’s social competence and reduce behavior problems.
- Focuses on play and positive involvement with children, praise and rewards, effective limit setting, and non-violent discipline practices.
- Length of Class: Participants attend weekly two-hour sessions for 14 weeks. Upon successful completion of Incredible Years, parents will receive a certificate.
- Cost: $150.00 (limited scholarship assistance available for certain classes).
- Interactive, video–rich program which allows participants to choose relevant family scenarios and problem solve.
- Designed to enhance child adjustment and to reduce delinquency and substance abuse.
- Addresses nine typical problem situations, including doing household chores, improving poor school performance, reduce sibling fighting and complying with parental requests.
- Length of Class: It will take parents two sessions to complete the nine case studies. Each session lasts approximately 3 hours. Classes are offered on two consecutive days.
- Upon successful completion of “Parenting Wisely,” parents will receive a certificate.
Safe Child Education Program & Parent Education and Diversion Program
- FOR PARENTS cited for leaving their child(ren) UNATTENDED IN A VEHICLE OR HOME or cited with a violation of the city/ county YOUTH PROTECTION ORDINANCE.
REQUIREMENTS TO PARTICIPATE:
- Contact Thompson Child and Family Focus to register for required class.
- Provide a copy of citation to Thompson, PRIOR to attending class.
- Attend and participate in the class which is typically held the 3rd or 4th Thursday of every month from 11:00 am - 2:00 pm at Thompson Child and Family Focus located at 2200 East 7th Street, Charlotte, NC 20204. Anyone arriving late will not be admitted to class.
- Pay a fee of $75.00 to Thompson Child and Family Focus for the program by the evening of the class. Cash or money order accepted, please bring exact change.
- Successful completion of class, may allow for dismissal of your case. To determine if you qualify for this benefit, please contact your attorney or the District Attorney’s Office.
For enrollment dates and class locations, please contact Amanda Duncan at 704-376-7180, ext. 132 or by email at email@example.com.