Polliwog is a Smart Start program operated by Thompson that provides therapies for children in Mecklenburg County who need special supports/behavior modification during the critical early childhood years at a critical time from birth to ages 3-5 (just prior to kindergarten).
The program is geared toward children who cannot otherwise access a range of developmental therapies. Child centered behavioral intervention, speech-language, physical and occupational therapies will be offered.
- Speech Therapy: Helping children to improve their understanding and use of language, speaking ability, swallowing and oral motor skills and overall ability to communicate more effectively.
- Occupational Therapy: Helping children to improve fine motor and self-help skills like feeding, handwriting, using scissors, buttoning a shirt and tying shoes. Occupational Therapy can also help a child with sensory processing issues; those who are easily over-stimulated by noise, touch, and activities in the classroom.
- Physical Therapy: Helping children to improve gross motor skills like sitting, crawling, and walking as well as balance and coordination.
Group instruction, classroom observations and technical assistance will also be provided to families and caregivers, directors, teachers and family child care home providers.
- Eligilibity requirements:
- Must be a Mecklenburg County resident and/or the child must be in a Mecklenburg County early childhood program.
- Children 0-5 years of age whose behavioral challenges negatively impact their placement in a Mecklenburg County early childhood program. Behaviors may include difficulty transitioning, kicking, biting, spitting, etc.
- Children 0-3 years of age who will be transitioning out of the North Carolina Infant Toddler Program or does not meet the eligibility requirements.
- Children 3-5 years of age whose documented therapeutic needs do not meet the eligibility requirements for the Charlotte Mecklenburg Schools Pre-K Exceptional Children’s Program.
We accept health insurance and Medicaid for therapy services. Behavior support is free to all, but specialized therapies are provided for a fee. We have the sliding fee scale for those who qualify.
For additional information, contact Shonta Walker at 704-817-1607 or by email (email@example.com).